Job Description – Interim Director Religious Education
STATUS: ¾ time, exempt, with benefits
DATES: Spring 2020 – July 2021
SALARY: TBD, based on experience
REPORTS TO: Minister
Unitarian Universalist Metro Atlanta North (UUMAN), founded in 1990 and located in Roswell, Georgia, is searching for an Interim Director of Religious Education (DRE). UUMAN is a small to mid-sized congregation with about 150 members and 50 children and youth. Members are very active in their community by participating in and supporting multiple social justice and environmental efforts.
UUMAN has a rich history of helping and aiding faith development for their members across the lifespan.
The Interim DRE has the following primary purposes: (1) facilitate the process of the UUMAN congregation in developing and implementing a renewed vision and leadership for religious education, and (2) lead the existing religious education programs for children & youth while ensuring continuity during the interim process.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The Interim DRE will work with the UUMAN congregation to fulfill and facilitate a specific interim process. This includes (but is not limited to):
- Coming to terms with the religious program history.
- Developing a renewed UUMAN religious education program Identity.
- Addressing changes during the interim period.
- Reviewing and renewing UUA local and regional connections.
- Committing to the future of the religious education program’s vitality.
- The Interim DRE will also work with the congregation to ensure UUMAN’s current education programs for children and youth continue during the interim time including:
- Planning and implementing UUMAN’s children and youth religious education programs.
- Recruiting, motivating, training, supporting and managing RE Volunteers.
- Overseeing administrative functions of UUMAN’s religious education programs.
- Fostering a supportive, engaged, and joyful religious education environment for the UUMAN congregation.
- The Interim DRE will review existing policies related to safe(r) congregations for children and youth, and work with the congregation to revise these policies as needed and integrate them into a comprehensive Safe Congregations Policy.
- The Interim DRE will serve as a staff team member, helping to create a positive and welcoming UUMAN staff culture; and, participating in staff meetings, Worship Staff Team meetings, retreats, and other appropriate cross-staff events.
- The Interim DRE will serve as a resource for the religious education search committee when the congregation enters the formal search phase.
- The Interim DRE will not apply for the settled position.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Complete or commit to completing the UUA Professional Interim Training: https://www.uua.org/careers/re/interim/professional-interim-training
- Facilitation skills; ability to solicit value and work with multiple perspectives.
- Experience with transitions and change management.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills including the ability to relate well with a wide range of children and adults.
Flexible team player, preferably with a good sense of humor, able to work collaboratively with different stakeholders in the UUMAN congregation.
- Experience with organizational and administrative practices including budget management and use of basic office software programs
- Ability to work a flexible work week, including most Sundays and some evenings.
Must be able to work in a sitting position the majority of the time and to operate a computer and other office equipment. Must be able to move within and between UUMAN’s facilities.
Please send cover letter and resume, including three references, via email to: email@example.com with “Interim DRE Application” in the subject line of the email. This position will remain open until it is filled.